1. Language, grammar and particularly spelling only really became standardised with the publication of Dr Johnson’s Dictionary in 1755.
3. More English words begin with the letter ‘S’ than any other letter of the alphabet.
4. Mandarin Chinese is the only language spoken by more people around the world than English.
5. Around one in eight of all letters in written English is an ‘e’.
6. The three words most common in spoken English are ‘I’, ‘you’ and ‘the’ …
7. The top three words in written English are ‘the’, ‘of’ and ‘and’.
8. The English language grows at a rate of about one new word every two hours.
9. The longest word in English is 45 letters long ! It is ‘pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis’! It refers to a lung disease caused by silica dust.
10. ‘Q’ is the least used letter in English language.
11. One in every 6 persons in world knows or speaks English language.
12. The word “set” has more definitions than any other word in the English language.
13. The word “queue” is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
14. More English words begin with the letter “S” than any other letter of the alphabet.